TTH Athlete Q&A: Pat Cooke-Rogers

Pat Cooke-Rogers is an impressive athlete by any standard. Pat has been doing endurance events for 16 years now and has ticked off some bucket list races, including the 430 mile Yukon Arctic Ultra and twice racing at the IRONMAN World Championships in Hawaii. Pat has been a TTH Coached Athlete for just over a year now and we can't wait to see what challenges Pat has in line for the future! In 2017 Pat not only qualified for Kona for the second time 10 years after first qualifying but she also went on to better her time, showing that keeping training and racing fun and interesting is important to remaining engaged and competitive. 

Pat at the finish line of the 430 mile Yukon Arctic Ultra.

You improved on your time from 10 years ago at Kona - how have managed to maintain such a high level of performance for such a long period of time?
It's just one foot (pedal/stroke) in front of the other. I'm not fast but I generally keep moving forward. And I've not been injured for the last 18 months which is a real bonus!

What’s your greatest sporting achievement to date?
Yukon Arctic Ultra 430 mile race on a bike in the Canadian sub-Arctic at -40 degrees. I was second cyclist, first woman to finish in 2015 and again 2017.


Where do you train in the UK?
In the East Midlands and in Norfolk.

What’s your favourite training route?

Along the beach near Hunstanton on foot or on a fatbike, and cycling the lanes of North Norfolk.

How often do you train and how do you fit training around work/life?
As often as I can but family always comes first.

How long have you been working with Tri Training Harder?
Just over a year.

What do you do when you're not doing triathlon?
I'm Race Chaplain for 3 companies that organise long distance triathlons or ultra distance races. I have 4 children, 3 dogs, 2 cats and 1 husband, and I work in IT. So life is busy!


Why do you do triathlon?
Because 16 years ago God called me into it. I had no athletic background, and was overweight, old and unfit.

How have you found having a triathlon Coach? Positives and negatives?
Very positive. I don't have time to work out what training I should be doing so having a coach helps me to 'just do it'. The only negative I can think of is that you have to find a coach who knows you and that you can trust.

What’s your favourite workout?

The one I've just completed!

What is your favourite distance event?

Long Course Triathlon - IM Wales

What do you think is the most important component of training for a triathlon?
Consistency - and a sense of humour. It's training for a race, not the end of the world!

What are your plans for the rest of 2017?

3 fun foot races - obstacle, cross-country relay and the last half-marathon of the year. And some serious cold water acclimatisation.

What are you planning for next season?
Ice mile (1 mile swim, open water, non-wetsuit, water temperature less than 5 degrees). Then either the ITU long-course championships if I get selected, and a fun long-distance race and maybe IM Wales if not.